NAIS membership is open to applicants at least 18 years old with a high school diploma or equivalent, who have
met the following criteria:
1. Education and/or Experience. NAIS requires a minimum of 24 hours of accredited* thermal imaging education or
equivalent thermography work experience before an individual may apply for membership and begin performing infrared
thermal surveys. (See list of approved education providers.)
2. NAIS Exam or Equivalent. NAIS requires new members to pass the NAIS exam, which is a national exam sponsored
by NAIS and provided to members at no charge, or to have passed an equivalent state, national or other accredited
3. State Requirements. NAIS requires its members to complete all mandatory state licensing or registration requirements
to operate a thermal imaging business, which may include additional exams, insurance requirements and background
4. Ethics & Standards. All members must be of good moral character and agree to abide by the NAIS Standards
of Practice and Code of Ethics, which establish a minimum and uniform standard for performing thermographic building
5. Part of NAIS's mission is to promote professional development for its members. NAIS members are asked to voluntarily
complete a minimum of 6 hours of continuing education each membership year.
6. Membership Dues: NAIS members agree to pay a $195 membership fee the first year and $99 for annual renewal thereafter.
NAIS membership fees are considerably less than organizations that operate for profit to sell certifications.
*To become an NAIS-accredited training provider, a thermal imaging training school must submit an application to
NAIS for approval. Applicants are required to have one visit to the training site; a review of the curriculum,
enrollment and company structure, be authorized or licensed by its state post-secondary education governing body
and not facing disciplinary action; be insured and bonded; have been in continuous operation as a thermal imaging
school under the same ownership for at least 10 years; be an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau with
a satisfactory complaint history; and employ instructors who hold valid thermography certifications for the training
that is conducted. Accreditation is renewed every 3 years. Note that the application processing fee, which includes
travel expenses, background checks and administrative fees, is based upon the thermal imaging training center's
average annual enrollment and is not refundable. To see a list of NAIS-accredited thermal imaging training providers